Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sewing and Baking with Julia

Julia came down for a baking and sewing night. We brewed a pot of coffee and got to work. Julia's goal: to finish a nursing blanket for Ruth, one of her friends from college. My goal: While perusing an old Southern Living magazine, I found some delightful pound cake recipes. So, I chose to make the Lemon Coconut cake. I carefully followed the recipe, while Julia created her own pattern. Julia took pictures of different fabrics and sent them to Ruth.. She chose this beautiful print.
Cutting and ironing!!
The happy little seamstress.
Doesn't that look delicious? I'm not saying mine's going to look like that, but I'm hoping it will taste wonderful.
All the fresh ingredients...
Just the right amount...
Add eggs one at a time...
This was my finished product.. It doesn't look as good as the one in the magazine but, it was so moist and great with our coffee...Midnight coffee...
Hot out of the oven...The zest of lemon made the house smell so good.
Julia also made this little pillowcase dress for her niece, Sydney.
Mission accomplished!! It looks beautiful and I know Ruth's going to love it. We had such a fun evening sewing and baking...Looking forward to finishing our next projects. It's late and we had better call it a night.. A good night:)

4 comments:

James and Emily said...

A happy and warm hello from the north! So glad I found your blog Aunt Cathy! Looks like you had fun together....your cake looks so yummy and great job to you Julia on your beautiful sewing projects! :)
Hope you all are doing well and staying cool this summer.
Much love to you,
Emily Hargett (Brockett)

Mrs. Stokesies said...

Wow!! I'm so glad to hear from you! I would love to see you and catch up on all the news. I'm hoping to go to New York before the year's out. I love the picture of you two. Love you, Aunt Cathy in hot, muggy Florida.

Lizzie said...

Hey Mrs Stokesies!
Aww..It looks like y'all had a fabulous time together! What a fun idea.
Of course, I think you two would have fun whatever you were doing ;)
You cake looks soooo yummy. Wish I was there to have a bite.
Hope to see you soon!!
Love,
Sarah

Pollock Family said...

Sounds wonderful, every bit of it, especially the midnight coffee and fresh baked cake!! Mouth is watering right now.

I love the nursing blanket. What a great idea. Such a thoughtful Julia, always!!

BTW: Thanks for the BOGO raincheck. I have plenty if you run out. DON'T BUY ANY

Love you,
Tina